Sunday 3 July 2011

ATV Adventure

We had a blast this morning with the Black Diamond ATV Adventure backcountry tour! It was drizzling a bit on and off, but with warm clothes and rain gear, we were quite comfortable. The rain over the past few days left lots of muddy patches and water-filled pot-holes on the trails so it was a great time to be out ripping around.

Black Diamond owns 500 acres on the edge of Denali National Park and their guides took our group of three all over the place. We stopped a few times to talk about the terrain and once to go into an old cabin. At one particularly muddy spot, we went around twice (the second time for a picture). They picked us up at the campground and returned us to our site. We were on the ATVs for at least two hours. It was so much fun!

I was sensible enough to wear my rubber boots so I didn't have to ride with plastic bags duct-taped over my shoes!

In the afternoon, on our way over to the Wilderness Activity Centre, we saw not one, but two momma and baby moose pairs grazing right near the campground. I got one picture of a baby moose,

one good picture of a momma and baby together

and one of a baby nursing.

I also took another picture of some pretty wildflowers:

3 comments:

  1. Karen - Thanks for your comments on my blog and especially for these reports of ATV and the dinner theater! As you know, my group will be doing those two things soon. I thought I had signed up to follow your blog, but apparently I didn't. So now I'll make sure to do that. Continue to enjoy your tour of Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some serious place to ride around and enjoy the place. You were lucky to see some wildlife and flowers. I’m glad that you enjoyed so much scenery and wilderness! I would love to do something like this if my work approves my vacation. But before that, I’ll repair our old ATV just to make sure I wouldn’t have problems while travelling.

    Keturah Gaulin

    ReplyDelete